Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Darwin Martin House

I'm a big nerd, I'll admit it. I love Architecture, I was even an Architecture major at one point. But I realized I could appreciate it more as a spectator. Frank Lloyd Wright is one of my favorite Architects. I love his style, it's so clean and organic. He designed his houses to fit with the environmental surroundings. He just so happened to have built a house in Buffalo. He also built Falling Water for those of you that might know what that is. I won't go into it too much but there is a lot of background to the house he built in Buffalo. It was for Darwin Martin and his family. It's 15,000 square feet, not to mention the Barton House and the Gardner's House on the property. It was built in 1905 and the family lived in it until 1937. After that the house was vacant for 15 years and it was partially destroyed. Different people owned it but now it's owned by a preservation group that is restoring it to it's original state. They offer tours everyday and for my birthday this year (yes, back in February) James bought me tickets to the in-depth 2 hour tour. That seems long but time flew and we didn't even get to see everything. I was so involved in the tour. It was awesome! They don't let you take pictures inside of the house for copyright purposes (stupid) so I took some pictures from the outside. Frank Lloyd Wright built a vacation house for the Martin's that is in Angola, about 45 minutes away. They are restoring that one right now too so when it's done I will be touring that one too. I know the only person that will enjoy this as much as I am is my cousin Sara, my uncle Ken and of course my dad. So Sara, uncle Ken and dad, these are for you!
The Barton House

Me in front of the Barton House

The pergola and the conservatory, which is now the gift shop

The front of the house

James is really excited to be there

From the side looking at the front of the house

The front of the Barton House

Looking over the wall to the pergola and the main house

The conservatory/gift shop

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't think you dad would enjoy the tour? I for one would think that HE would!