Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oktoberfest!

On Saturday night me and James decided to go to Oktoberfest down at the Central Terminal in Buffalo. We had never been to the Central Terminal. People kept telling us what a scary part of town it was in but I didn't think it would be that bad. But I was wrong, it was probably in one of the worst parts of town we could be in and it probably didn't help that we were white. It's near the "States" streets which equals the real live ghetto. When you get in the streets that are named after states then you are in big trouble. And that's where Carol lead us. (Carol = VZ Navigator, my GPS) Anyway, we made it alive, after a few close calls with people just standing in the middle of the street and not moving. The Central Terminal was once the second largest train station in the US, after Central Station in NYC. It was built in 1929, just right before the Great Depression. And after only 15 or so years of being opened it closed because of the Great Depression and then afterwards people were starting to travel more by car and plane. So from like the 40's to the 70's it was used as a freight station. Then it closed, like everything else in Buffalo. They even did a special on the Discovery Channel because the Terminal is rumored to be haunted, and it sure looked like it. You can see stuff about it here or here.It's an awesome place and they are trying to restore it so they hold events there to try to raise money. I'm a nerd and I love old buildings and Architecture so I go and support stuff like that. Plus, not to mention it was Oktoberfest. They even had a German band there. I'm pretty sure I'm part German too. Here are some pics!
James and Me

James being scared

The outside tower of the Terminal

Where the trains used to go under the station

Inside the terminal

No comments: