Saturday, November 29, 2008

A wedding to remember....

How do you even begin this? James's parents were married this past Tuesday. Yes, his mother and father have never been married to each other, nor have they lived together up until 6 months ago. They have been dating for 28 years, which I'm pretty sure is a world record. I even researched it but couldn't come up with anything. I don't know the specifics of why they never married (I heard that James's dad never asked and his mom never brought it up, which is lame). The only reason they are getting married now is so that his mom can be on his dad's insurance policy because he has cancer. Yep, good reason.
It was at a "church" about 10 minutes from our house. By "church" I mean something like the Chapel of Love in Las Vegas, where they don't actually perform any sermons or spiritual meetings. We arrived about a half hour before the "ceremony". As I walked in I was handed some flowers, which I thought were because I'm "family" (not really though), because Rachel (James's sister-in-law) was handed some too. We are just standing around chatting and then Linda (the "bride") says it's time to start and that me and Rachel should go to the front. I think to myself "The front, where? She better not mean the front where the wedding party stands" Sure enough that's what she means. So I'm walking to the front, slowly, and Rachel pushes me in front of her and says I'm the maid of honor. I say to Rachel "No, I am not." She says "Yes you are, because I don't want to be". I say "I'm going to kill you" and she pushes me again. By this time, it's too late, I have to stop arguing because they are coming down the aisle.
I'm pretty sure it's customary for normal people to ask a person to be their maid of honor, or bridesmaid, before they arrive at the church and are given flowers. This was not the case. I was never asked, nor thanked for being in the wedding. I find the whole situation bizarre and I felt like I was in the twilight zone for a good portion of the evening.
He's excited for his parents to get married, can't you tell?
Fun before the wedding The "chapel" Eron, the happy couple, James

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Best wedding EVER {period}